Kelly’s Directory of Huntingdonshire 1914

Extracted from Kelly’s Directory of Huntingdonshire 1914

FENSTANTON is a parish on the border of Cambridgeshire, bounded on the north by the river Ouse, and on the road from Huntingdon to Cambridge, 2 miles south from St. Ives station on the Great Eastern railway and 6 south-east from Huntingdon, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Toseland, petty sessional division of Hurstingstone, union of St. Ives, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Huntingdon and diocese of Ely. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire containing 5 bells: the chancel is a very fine specimen of Decorated work: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. Stanley Walton M.A. a former vicar, who died in May, 1875, and there are other memorial windows to Miss Cowling, d. 1884, and Mrs. Haylock Watson: the church will seat 375 persons. The register dates from about 1612. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £189, including 16 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Marcus Steinman Kemmis M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford. The Congregational chapel is a building of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1874, and there is also a Calvinistic Baptist chapel. A cemetery of 1 acre was presented to the parish by the late Thomas Coote esq. D.L., J.P. (d. 1906) and is under the control of the Parish Council; there is no mortuary chapel. The town estate of 94 acres now (1914) produces about £80 yearly, which is for the general uses of the parish. There is a stock club, established for the purpose of defraying losses in cattle through disease &c. The Fenstanton Literary Institute, established in 1856, and rebuilt in 1880, by the late Thomas Coote esq. is now used as a boys’ club. The Fenstanton and District Conservative Club, founded in 1895, and now (1914) numbering 50 members, has premises containing billiard and reading rooms. The principal landowners are Alfred Behagg esq. and George Burgess esq. The manorial rights were transferred about 1889. The various soils are a gravelly loam, clay and fenny loam.. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, potatoes and chicory. The area is 2,565 acres of land and 16 of water ; rateable value, £5,884 ; the population in 1911 of the civil parish was 863 and 879 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Parish Clerk and Sexton, William Saint.

Post, M. O. & T. Office, Fenstanton.—Mrs. Hannah Swain, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from St. Ives. at 6.25 & 10.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; dispatched at 11.30 a.m. & 6.25 & 7.30 p.m.; Sunday, arrive 7 a.m.; dispatched 9.15 a.m

Wall Letter Box, near the ‘Black Bull,’ cleared at 7.30, 10.35 & 11.40 a.m. & 4 & 7.40 p.m. week days only.

Wall Letter Box, ‘Queen’s Head,’ cleared 11 a.m. & 7.20 p.m.; Sunday 9.15 a.m

Council School (mixed & infants), built for 159 children; Edward James Quick, master

Carriers.—Charles Jacob & Mrs. Bertha Holmes, to St. Ives, daily

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Behagg Alfred, Hall Green
Brawn Mrs. Pleasant view
Bunting George, The Elms
Burgess George, The Gables
Chapman Arthur George, Dumville, London road
Crouch Mrs. Chequers street
Danner Frederick, Laleham
Davison Mrs. The Laurels
Day McNeil, Vernon house
Fortescue Roy
Geeson Lambert, The Willows, London road
Graves Mrs. Ivy cottage
Harrison Geo. Arthur, 3 Bridge ter
Heap Thomas, Grove cottage
Hewlins Miss, London road
Houtum-Schindler Gen. Sir Albert K.C.I.E. Petersfield
James Dennis, The Lindens
Johnson Henry, Lynnwood
Kemmis Rev. Marcus Steinman M.A (vicar), The Vicarage
Kiddle Edward, River view
Marsden Mrs. Belmont house
Mason Mrs. Granville ho. London rd
Mason Wm. Jas. Arona vil.London nil
Maud Mrs. Wimpole house
Morgan William, Bridge terrace
Odams Mrs. London road
Parr Rev. James (Cong.), The Manse
Peet Rev. Alfred, Manor house
Powell Geoffrey, The Manor
Pumfrey Alfred, High street
Royds Rev. Nathanael, Oaklands
Sandifer William, The Rookery
Schafer Mrs. Ivy cottage
Semple Edward M.D. Grove house
Skinner James, Hilton road
Smith Arthur Charles, Bridge villa
Tidmarsh James Clingo, Glentborn, Hilton road
Wright Miss, Bridge terrace

COMMERCIAL.
Aldous Annie (Miss), apartments
Allen Arthur W. & Son, builders, contractors, undertakers, sand & gravel raisers, shoeing & general smiths & agents for North British & Mercantile Insurance Co. High st
Allen James Snesby, bricklayer
Armon Jn. farmer & market gardenr
Ashby Jesse, bee keeper, Tenter Leys
Aughton Henry & Son, butchers
Barnett John, poultry dealer
Behagg Allen Christopher, farmer, Hall Green
Bond Stephen, boot maker
Bond William, shoe maker
Broadway Ellen (Miss), dress maker, 7 Bridge terrace
Burgess George & Sons, farmers & fruit growers, The Gables
Burgess Thomas Philip, clerk to the Parish Council & assistant overseer
Calver Harry, tailor
Carter Benj. & Edwin, horse dealers
Cemetery (Thomas Philip Burgess, clerk; William Saint, sexton)
Chillery Fred, market gardener, & Queen’s Head P.H
Cliff Isaac, beer ret. Huntingdon rd
Cole Florence (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 6 Bridge terrace
Cole Henry John, riding breeches maker, 1 Bridge terrace
Dawson Stephen, farmer
Eagle Thos.coach builder,8 Bridge ter
Emerson Wm. boot maker & beer ret
Fenstanton & District Conservative Club (B. Martin, hon. sec. & treas)
Fenstanton Literary Institute (J. S. Allen, hon. sec)
Fenstanton Stock Club (T. P. Burgess, see)
Gifford William, baker
Harrison George Arthur, assistant overseer for Hemingford Abbotts & clerk to Parish Council & assistant overseer for Pidley-cum-Fenton, 3 Bridge terrace
Haynes Brothers, shopkeepers
Hewson & Son, shopkeepers, High st
Hodge John, baker
Hodge Thomas, baker
Holley John, farmer
Holmes Beldam, chimney sweeper
Holmes Bertha (Mrs.), beer retailer & carrier
Holmes Sarah Bell (Mrs.), apartmnts
Hopkins Joseph, beer retailer
Hunt Alfred, baker & confectioner
Hunt Clara (Miss). dress maker
Isola Arthur, bricklayer
Isola Stephen, baker
Isola William, bricklayer
Jacob George H. & Son, saddlers
Jacob Charles, carrier
James Dennis, farmer
Jepson Vincent Henry, farmer
Johnson Geo.H. shoeing & gen. smith
Land Mary Ann (Mrs.), The Crown P.H. High street
Langford Charles, machinist
Laurie Albert, Black Bull P.R
Makeham Maud & Mary (Misses). grocers
Makeham John Henry, coach painter
Marten William, butcher & grocer
Morgan Warren, cycle agent
Munns William, horse dlr. & farmer
Oakman Oliver, Chequers P.H
Orage William Steverstone, tailor
Prior Fred, gardener to Miss Hewlins, Rose cottage
Pugh Thomas, dairyman
Quemby Henry, dairyman
Radford George, farmer
Richards Edwd. Alfred, wheelwright
Roberts William, beer retailer
Robinson. Arthur White, shopkeeper
Royston William, beer retailer
St. Ives (Hunts) Gas Co. Limited (William James Mason, general manager), London road
Saint Caroline (Miss), shopkeeper
Sandifer William, farmer & landowner, The Rookery
Sansom A. J. & Co. carters
Swain William, jobbing gardener
Topper Richard, farmer
Toseland Simon Thomas, coal dealer
Watts Charles A. miller (wind)
Wright Harriet (Mrs.), George P.H

Transcription copyright Nigel Penton Tilbury 2000

Available as a download – Kelly’s Directory of Huntingdonshire 1914